Have you just obtained your Bachelor's degree? Congratulations!
You are now far from long hours of classes. No more homework or exams if you've decided to stop studying and started looking for a job.
But you're not out of the woods. You are moving into the next defiance - Finding a decent job.
Let’s face it, finding a job, is very challenging when you don’t have experience. But with a good deal of courage and good guidance, you end up finding your ideal job.
Step 1: Figure Out The Profession In Which You Want To Build Your Career
You can start your professional career if you have no idea about the job you want to do. Indeed, it's the idea of that desired job which will lead you during the process of job hunting. It's such an important stage that if you miss it then you can't start anything.
There are different ways which help you identify your core interest.
3 Ways To Identify Your Perfect Job Profile
- Consult a career counselor who will help you find out the profession that is good for you.
- Convert your strengths into an asset to get a job. For that, remember in which activities you were good at school; was it writing, presenting an event or whatever.
- Identify the current topics that intrigue you the most.
- Find out your core interests. I suggest you to read this article if you want to know more about how to find your core interest.
Step 2: Create Your Resume And Your Cover Letter
Your resume is your marketing tool that will communicate your value to a potential employer. The better your resume is written, the more your chances you have for landing an interview.
These are the key elements you must include in your resume
- Your education
- Relevant skills
- Your past work experiences
This is the one of the standard format. But if you want to build a strong and captive resume, there are free resume templates that you can find online. You want to make your resume look nice and compelling but you don’t know how? Find here in which way we can help you.
Some companies require a cover letter along with the resume. A cover letter is a note in which you give the recruiter the reasons why he/she should hire you. It allows you to highlight the skills and abilities you think would make you right for the role.
It must include these details 👇🏽
- Your details (name, address, phone number)
- The reasons that make you suitable for the job
- What will be your contribution to the development of the company if you probably get hired
- Closing statements (including thanking the recruiters for their time).
Again, thanks to the Internet you can get free samples of cover letters online that you can customize. Here are the elements you can put in your cover letter.
Once you have sorted out your resume and your cover letter, edit them. Use the following tips to shape your resume and your cover letter
Tips for editing your resume and your cover letter
- Proofread your documents to fix all the grammar and punctuations errors. You can use Grammarly for checking these errors
- Make it short by removing all the irrelevant elements such as flat-out lies, objectives, personal details and joke skills
- Make sure to include keywords that will catch recruiter’s eye
- Use a resume review tool to update your resume
Step 3: Start Using Online Job Boards
The internet has made many things easy for us, even landing a job. There are various online platforms on which you can find job recruitment offers.
TIP: What you need to do is - Just Follow the three tips and voila, you are good to go
1. Subscribe by entering your preferences
2. Upload a strong resume
3. Give your email id
So whenever there are jobs that match your preferences, you will get a notification in your mailbox.
Below, you can find some of the job hiring platforms:
Step 4: Organize Your Social Media Profiles
Ensure that all your social media accounts and profiles are well structured and neat.
If you have more than one social media accounts, make these pages reflect a responsible image of you. I mean, remove all the embarrassing elements on your social pages. Because today, job recruiters also use social media platforms to check their candidates’ profiles.
A recent survey of CareerBuilder shows that 70% of employers are checking social media profiles for red flags.
Imagine that the recruiter comes across provocative photos or even racist or sexist posts on one of your accounts-Scandal. This is how you will miss a great opportunity.
NOTE: It is more than necessary to take care of your online image. But the best way would be to never post these kinds of content. Because even if you take them off, there are still ways for someone to see these invisible contents.
Avoid to publish these kind of content on your social media account
- Provocative information including inappropriate photographs, videos or information
- Discriminatory comments related to race, gender or religion
To know more about how to put your best asset online check this.
Step 5: Prepare for the interview.
Start preparing your interview even before applying for a job. Otherwise, you may not have enough time to do it when you will be scheduled for the interview.
If you want to nail your interview, find here how to prepare a successful interview.
Now everything is set so that you can apply for your first job!
Note: These are the steps for an online job searching. But you can still look for jobs in other ways, such as:
- Apply directly to companies by submitting an application letter
- Followed by the printed papers of all those stuff that we talked about for online job searching
- Ask your friends and acquaintances to let you know whenever they hear about job offers that are in your domain.
- Some enterprises make job announcements by placing posters at some strategic places, be attentive to spot them.
If it turns out that you don't get the job in the first try, don't get disappointed.
Your failure does not mean that you are not good enough; it means something went wrong somewhere. So take your time and analyze your process to spot the impending mistakes.
While waiting for new opportunities, take training courses, take advantage of internship opportunities. Do not hesitate to approach people experienced in your field, you will learn a lot from them. Also, don't stay focused on one area. Give yourself the chance to explore other horizons.
If you are interested in something new, for example, business, sign up for online courses. Do prefer courses which offer a certificate of completion of the apprenticeship.
Now that you are good to go, I wish you luck, a lot of courage and never ending hope. If you need help for landing the perfect job, SliteResume got it for you.