Human Resource Management is an approach to the effective management of resources at work. It is the role of an HR to handle the managerial operations of an organization in a way to achieve the maximum benefit out of it.
Again it's the responsibility of an HR to provide the right fit for the right job in the corporation. But the process is not limited to this step only. It also focuses on the overall professional growth of an organization as well the employees by maintaining the work culture in the industry.
What is the importance of HRM graduates in an organization?
In the rising era, business houses around the world look for new opportunities to earn money for sustainability. And Human Resources are one of the most important factors that manage business operations to make it successful.
So, they are always in demand to overcome business management challenges. With the help of HRM, businesses can be operated efficiently and hence gain better benefits.
Why into HRM after BBA?
As the BBA program prepares you for this career opportunity by teaching the essential skills like the people's management and the subjects like Organization Behavior, Strategic Planning, Labour Laws, etc. Hence, a career in Human Resources after BBA is a perfect choice.
Skills that can be developed by a BBA graduate
- Written communication skills from writing essays and internship project files
- Oral communication through participation in seminar and in-house presentations
- Planning and organizing skills through team-building exercise and group activities
- Interpersonal skills and people management through role-play and management games
- Time management skills through prioritization and participation in the various co-curricular activities
- Problem-solving skills as a result of the above
- IT skills, etc.
Reasons to select a career in Human Resource after BBA
A career in Human Resource after BBA program is a good idea as -
- You get to work with various types of people at every stage of the career. Be it the experts or the freshers. It helps you in career growth and building a strong network.
- In HR, every day is different from the previous one. There will never be monotony or boredom at work. And you will end up managing various roles in the organization like employee welfare, industrial relationship management, discipline and a lot more.
- The jobs are available both in India and abroad. Also, you can work in a small or a large organization, depending on your wish.
- Your job is central to every job in the organization. The policies designed by you will impact all levels of the organization and its people.
Job duties of a typical HR personnel
As stated before, a career in Human resources after BBA is never going to be dull. As an HR, you are in charge of the most important parts of the organization - its human capital. So, you will be responsible for managing employees, salaries and benefits, wellness programs, training and development, performance management and employee counselling. Other functions include -
- Planning and organizing the workforce requirements
- Building a talent availability profile
- Employee motivation and retention
- Maximizing the human potential
- Recruitment and selection of the right candidate
- Acting as a link between top management and the employees and problem handling
- Solving employee problems and working on their welfare
- Resolving the conflicts and handling discipline issues
- Supervising the working of the support staff
- Framing HR policies and legal compliance
Skills required for entry to the HR field
A career in Human Resource after BBA is quite easy for the students who have the following skills -
- Leadership and management skills - The moment you enter into the Human Resource after the BBA course, you are expected to manage resources. Thus, leadership and management are the essential qualities of the HR executive or trainee. The complex business environment requires a complete understanding of issues like diversity, employee rights, recruitment laws, compensation and employee welfare. As a leader, you have to lead and coach people to become effective. Also, you will have to create teams and creative groups to achieve the goals.
- Empathy - As an HR executive, you need to deal with people's problems. This means you have to be emotionally intelligent and empathetic to deal with their problems. There are two sides to every story and as a problem solver, you need to hear both without choosing sides. Sometimes, employees need a helping hand and sometimes just a listener. You need to be aware of these matters.
- Language and intercultural skills - HR depends largely on the way communication is done. This means that if you are a good communicator, you have a brilliant career in this field. In big companies, due to cultural diversity, understanding of cultural differences and values is a must. Else you may end up demotivating the workers or hurting their feelings.
- Time management - When you enter into Human Resource after BBA, the first issue that you will face is managing the time. As an HR, you will face new problems and if you are not able to work on time management, you may end up with more than you can chew. Your paperwork should always be perfect along with the employee’s files.
- Negotiation skills - Apart from being a good leader and communicator, HR needs to be good in negotiations. You will have to work with people, management, government agents and even trade unions. This means that you have to be able to create a win-win situation for all the parties for the right results.
- Multitasking and organizing skills - As HR, you will always have something new waiting for you each day at work. Sometimes it may be a problem or other days it can be about the routine requests. Also, you may be asked to implement a new plan or policy by the top management. So you must be very good at performing many tasks with great efficiency.
How to develop yourself or your skills as an HR?
Now the question arises How to achieve these skills? Before you opt for the field of Human resources after BBA, you need to be aware of yourself. This means that you should construct your skill inventory which includes the strengths and weaknesses. Once you are done, you can understand the extent of improvement needed for a skill. Also, you can improve your skills using the following techniques -
- Reading the books authored by top management gurus and their ideas. You can start with classics like "7 habits of highly effective people" or "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and gradually read on the top names like Harvard Business Review or IIM Vikalpa.
- Volunteer for local social organizations or businesses. You can also opt for summer training or take part in research projects for practical understanding. This helps you to meet new people and improve yourself.
- Improve your communication skills by reading newspapers and discussing ideas with friends. You can visit these websites for the right results.
- If possible, participate in the speech and debate competitions to improve your vocal.
- For time management skills, make a day planner and stick to it. You can have a personal diary and note calendar to balance both work and other activities.
- Develop listening skills and emotional intelligence. This can be achieved by helping friends and family in their common problems.
- Engage in team-based activities and increase your participation in college activities. This will help build long-lasting relationships.
- Look at various HR certificate programs available online. You can easily find these through the free website of Swayam.
- Consult the experts in the field through networking events. You can attend workshops and seminars on the field.
- Stay in sync with the current trends and employment laws of the nation. A large number of resources are available online for this.
- As for interview preparation, you can look for a Sliteresume blog for updates.
Job opportunities in the HR sector
The job opportunities in the HR sector are increasing and so is the demand for the professionals. These include -
- HR manager - The main task is to see the HR activities in the organization and to meet the planning goals. This job requires good communication and networking skills.
- Compensation manager - The task of compensation manager is to study the existing rewards and benefits associated with the organization. Also, you may be expected to ensure compliance with the employment laws of the nation.
- Corporate Trainers - The job role involves the development and delivery of the training and development plans of the company. If you love teaching and are into research, then this is the right job for you.
- Recruitment experts - This HR vertical involves searching and selecting the right candidate for the right job. The job includes filling positions at all levels of management. One needs to be quick at employee assessment through verbal and non-verbal cues.
- Change Management experts - These are freelance experts who look into the company’s needs and help in solving the problem. Such a sector employs candidates with analytic skills to look into the deeper causes and help change them for the good of all.
- International HR professional - If you love travelling abroad and like to meet new people then this one is right for you. You can find a job in any Multinational organization to help them manage their diverse human resources to achieve common goals. It must be noted that you must have a strong understanding of the various cultures and their values to have a successful start.
- HR consultant or Headhunters - Using headhunting experts, companies gain easy access to the human resources of their choice. These consultants, in turn, earn huge profits for their time and efforts. This role uses both HR and entrepreneurship skills to bring the right results.
- HR IT Specialist - The HR specialist uses IT skills to bring help in managing the employees using software designed for this purpose. For this SAP and ERP training certification can be useful.
- HR generalist - These are single man showrunners. For small organizations, they run all the above functions on their own. Such people need to be multi-taskers and quick learner to manage the job well.
- HR freelancers - These are freelance work experts who help companies in specific tasks through outsourcing services. Usually, they earn pay by hour basis or lump-sum basis. But, one needs to be good at the job to gain the advantage in this career.
- Employee welfare managers or Employee assistance plan experts - The job profile includes the tasks related to employee welfare, safety issues, wellness and health, This may include a medical examination, flexible timings, fitness programs, childcare and counselling sessions.
Taking up Human Resource after BBA can be a good choice to prepare for job roles and responsibilities. Still, a lot can be understood by professional experience and mentorship programs.
Hence, use your time wisely and invest it in improving the skills through the above-mentioned methods and gain the best job for yourself. To get help with the available positions in the sector and for designing the best resume for the job profile, visit the Sliteresume website for the best professional help and support services.